The Town of Berthoud Forestry Department is in place to provide a safe, aesthetic, and sustainable urban forest. We are responsible for the maintenance of trees within our parks, natural areas, cemetery, and town-owned facilities. We are also responsible for the upkeep of the town tree inventory and developing management plans to promote a diverse and healthy urban forest.
At the January 22, 2019 Town Council Meeting, the Town Board of Trustees approved the adoption of a Street Tree Work Permit and development of Town Ordinance 1266. With this update, a permit must be acquired and approved by Town Staff prior to conducting any tree work (e.g., pruning, removal, treatment, etc.) on trees located within street rights-of-way (“tree lawns”). Tree lawns are the portion of property located between the street curb and the sidewalk, and in accordance to Municipal Code Section 30-2-112(B)(5) it is the abutting property owner’s responsibility for the maintenance of trees located in the right-of-way. Please note, failure to meet Town policy may result in a fine of $2,500 in accordance to Town Ordinance 1266.
1. Per Town Code section 30-2-112(B)(5) it is the responsibility of the adjacent property owner for maintaining, removing and/or replacing trees located within street rights-of-way (tree lawns).
2. A Street Tree Work Permit must be acquired and approved by town staff prior to conducting any tree work (e.g., pruning, removal, treatment, ect.) on trees located within street rights-of-way.
3. Tree work must (by ordinance) be done by a licensed tree contractor or by the property owner.
4. All stumps on public right-of-way (by ordinance) must be removed to at least 6 inches below grade.
5. Tree limbs should hang no lower than 14 feet over streets and 8 feet over sidewalks.
6. Shrubs and hedges on street corners must be maintained less than 30 inches in height for a minimum of 25 feet both ways from the corner.
- Who is responsible for the trees located in the right of way strip in front of my house?
- Since the right of way trees in front of the house are my responsibility, can I perform maintenance on them?
- Who can I call to get work done on my trees in Berthoud?
- I had the street tree removed in front of my house, do I need to remove the stump too?
- What are the clearance requirements for branches hanging over the sidewalk or road.