The Town of Berthoud regulates the installation of public utilities within the Town's public right-of-way through a permitting process. Public right-of-way means a strip of land acquired by reservation, dedication, forced dedication, prescription, or condemnation and intended to be occupied by a road, crosswalk, bike path, alley way, railroad, electric transmission lines, oil or gas pipeline, waterline, sanitary storm sewer, and other similar uses; generally, the right of one to pass over the property of another.
Right-of-way (ROW) Permits are required prior to any work activities or temporary obstructions, including temporary storage containers or pods, within the public right-of-way and/or Town utility easements or that will directly affect the traveling public.
To apply, go to ROW Permit Application. Staff are available to issue permits Monday – Thursday, 7:00 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. Questions? Call 970-344-5816 or Email Right-of-way. (firstname.lastname@example.org)
ROW Permit Application
In accordance with the Town's permitting requirements, all work done on public right-of-way areas (including utility easements) or that will impact the traveling public requires a ROW Permit, Traffic Control Plan(s), Description of Work, and Certificate of Insurance.
Prior to submitting your ROW Permit
Schedule utility locates before digging / excavation. Obtain an approved Certificate of Insurance (COI), and if required a bond equal to the value of the work being performed. Obtain a Colorado Department of Highways (CDOT) Special Use Utility Permit if project impacts a state highway and or county road within the Town limits. Prepare Traffic Control Plans, Scope of Work (description of work, construction methods, equipment and operational procedures) and if required construction plans.
3 Easy Steps! The application must be fillable at all times. No need to print & scan, nor open the application in a PDF program.
1) Click to open the fillable Right-of-Way Permit Application & Provisions (PDF) form and Edit directly online.
2) After you completed the form, download to save and create a new file name (ex. ROWPermit-123 Main St-Company Name).
3) Send the new file to Email Right-of-way (email@example.com) with the following attachments;
- Include Traffic Control Plan(s) for work that impedes public utility easements and right-of-way areas, the normal flow of vehicular and bicycle traffic and or disrupts pedestrian walkways, and if necessary, developed by a certified traffic control company.
- Include an approved Certificate of Insurance (COI) with Town of Berthoud noted as Certificate Holder and Additional Insured.
(1) Certificate Holder as the "United States, Town of Berthoud, 807 Mountain Ave, Berthoud CO 80513" and
(2) Description/Remarks of Operations please note "Town of Berthoud, its officers and employees as “additional insured” on general liability with respect to operations of the named insured for the certificate holder as required by written contract and or permit."
- (if required) Submit a bond equal to the value of the work done.
- Include a detailed Description of Work (construction methods, equipment and operational procedures) in the permit. Depending on the project, a Scope of Work letter and/or Construction Plans may be required.
- Include an approved Colorado Department of Highways (CDOT) Special Use Utility Permit , and other regulatory applications and or permits as required, when a project impacts state highways, county roads, and municipal streets.
How long does it take?
- Once all required documents are received, the Town requires up to 10-work days for review and approval of the permit.
- ROW Permits are issued after the application fee is paid in full upon receiving an invoice by email with payment instructions.
Once the permit is issued, is there anything else?
Below you will find information for Construction Hours and the Right-of-Way Final Inspection contact information.
Monday-Friday: 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
Saturday: 8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
Sunday: 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
To Schedule Final Right-of-Way Inspections:
Streets Department (for Road Cuts or Sidewalk related work): (970) 532-2210
Water Department (for Water/Sewer related work): (303) 505-2138